For years, one of the largest pain points for hiring managers at City Colleges of Chicago has been the hiring and recruitment process. A long, arduous job posting process, an uncoordinated and sometimes fractured hiring process and a lack of screening and recruitment tools all have contributed to hiring times of up to 240 days for a single position.
Now, through the collaborated efforts of Reinvention, Human Resources, the Office of the Chief Operating Officer and approval by the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees, a new and exciting Hiring and Recruitment module by Taleo Corporation is being purchased and implemented to transform the hiring process and bring tremendous recruiting, screening, evaluating, hiring and onboarding tools to the hiring and recruitment process at CCC.
The Taleo Hiring and Recruitment tool is widely used by several community colleges, universities, businesses, non-profits and governmental agencies including the City of Chicago. Touted for being intuitive, user-friendly and functional, the Taleo module will allow recruiters, faculty & staff hiring managers and administrators to:
- Reduce time to fill positions by up to 90%; and
- Attract and recruit candidates from proven sources and align job postings with screening questions to narrow respondents to the most qualified candidates for the position; and
- More readily align internal candidates with job postings; and
- Provide an internal profile for all job candidates, making it easier for internal and external job applicants to apply for positions, track jobs applied for and update information; and
- Coordinate hiring activities with all stakeholders; and
- Electronically approve job postings, tentatively approve job hires and coordinate pre-employment activities with all affected departments and parties; and
- Retain our talent through coordinated onboarding activities to ensure all new hires are provided with essential equipment, systems access, tools and training necessary to perform their duties from day 1; and
- Review analytical data to determine the effectiveness of our hiring and recruitment program, monitor our time to hire metrics and evaluate potential steps to improve our hiring efforts.
Finally, the Taleo Hiring and Recruitment tool will allow our administrators the ability to audit our hiring decisions to ensure they remain compliant with internal policy and procedure as well as external laws, ordinances and statutes.
The basic components of the tool are expected to be in operation by November 2012 after extensive testing and training is conducted with all pertinent stakeholders. Additional tools will be added shortly thereafter to further strengthen, streamline and enhance the hiring process.
All and all, the implementation of the Taleo Hiring and Recruitment module is a step in the right direction as City Colleges continue to improve operations with the ultimate goal of improving what we offer to our most important constituent, our students.
- David Sanders, Process, Operations and Governance Task Force